The Cityzens saw three huge calls go against them in the first half, two of which were penalty shouts, sparking controversy on social media.

Manchester City took to Wembley Stadium on Saturday in the FA Cup final, with Guardiola's men facing bitter rivals Manchester United in the ultimate showdown. And just as was the case in their run-in at Old Trafford, this tie was riddled with controversial VAR decisions.

The Cityzens got off to a spectacular start. Only 13 seconds after kick-off, the Premier League champions went 1-0 up courtesy of a brilliant Ilkay Gundogan volley, which shocked everyone at the stadium and those watching across the globe. However, the Red Devils eventually worked their way back into the game and here is where the contention starts.

The first divisive decision involved Casemiro, who caught Manuel Akanji with his studs at roughly – if not above – the ankle area. The Swiss defender was left in tremendous pain and while he was fortunately able to continue without injury, some Man City fans were left frustrated after VAR refused to get involved in what could have been a sending off on another day.

Around the half-an-hour mark came the second incident. Manchester United had a penalty shout after what appeared to be a handball from Jack Grealish. The on-field referee waved play on but the proceedings was ultimately halted by VAR, who recommended a review. The replays showed Aaron Wan-Bissaka's header stroking Grealish's fingers inside the box, and thus the spot kick was awarded, but fans took issue with this decision as well as it felt harsh on the English winger.

And then came the third controversy, which occurred shortly after Manchester United's penalty. Bruno Fernandes converted from the spot to equalize for the Red Devils but Guardiola's men entered the break feeling they deserved a penalty of their own.

This came after Kevin de Bruyne was brought down in the box after an attempt from Fred to block the Belgian from reaching the ball. Whether the Brazilian's actions were enough to merit a spot kick is the question of the hour but the Man City fans felt hard done by. 

Fortunately for the treble chasers, they reclaimed the lead in the second half through Ilkay Gundogan once again. The German ace completed his brace courtesy of another volley, albeit a scuffed on this time around, as the midfielder's effort crept past an unsighted David de Gea.