The Ghanaian has sadly passed away at the age of 31 after being caught in the rubble of his own home following the devastating earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria.

Christian Atsu has tragically been confirmed dead more than ten days after going missing following the devastating earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria, the player's agent revealed.

The Ghanaian, who was on the books for Chelsea for five years, most recently played for Super Lig side Hatayspor and was one of many members of that team to get caught in the horrific earthquake that has killed over 40,000 people.

The whereabouts of Atsu, who was only 31, were unknown following the unforgettable tragedy that struck the region on February 6. Shortly after it became known that the player was missing, Hatayspor apparently claimed that the former winger was found alive and was transported to the hospital.

However, the player's agent denied that claim, with the club later stating that the Ghaniain was still missing. Fast forward to today and it was confirmed that Atsu's body was found lifeless under the rubble of his own home.

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well-wishers that sadly Christian Atsu's body was recovered this morning," Nana Sechere, the agent, wrote on Twitter

"My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support."

Likewise, Hatayspor also took to social media to confirm this heartbreaking news, writing that Christian and first-team material supervisor Onur Akdeniz had lost their lives to the earthquake. The club also announced that the body of the player is being transported to Ghana where his friends and family will stage his funeral.

"There are no words to describe our sadness," the Turkish side tweeted.

"We will not forget you, Atsu. Peace be upon you, beautiful person."

Atsu spent a considerable amount of his career in England, mainly on loan, representing the likes of Newcastle, Bournemouth, and Everton. As a result, several Premier League clubs sent their condolences following this update, with Newcastle preparing to hold a minute's silence at St. James' Park in their clash with Liverpool to honor their former player (as per Sky Sports).

Atsu's final game came in Hatayspor's home game versus Kasimpasa on February 5, the day before the earthquake struck. Not only did the Ghanaian score in that game, but he also grabbed the winning goal courtesy of a 97th-minute free kick, thus leaving everyone with one last beautiful memory of the player.